Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-28 13:57:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>> That's modest. I've talked to several oracle and db2 shops that want a
>> standby for reporting that has relatively easy setup/maintenance
>> (handling ddl is a big part of this) and the HS feature your working
>> on will give them something as good as what they are getting now. So
>> yeah, HS appeals to future users as well.
>
> I've talked to some of my clients, and while they *want* synch or
> near-synch HS, even slow HS is useful to them *now*.
>
> One client is planning on deploying a rather complex FS cloning
> infrastructure just to have a bunch of reporting, testing and read-only
> search databases they need. They'd be thrilled with an HS feature which
> produced DBs which were an hour out of date (or even 6 hours out of
> date), but ran read-only queries.

I have a lot of clients who would be thrilled to have stuff that's been
in our tree for half a year by now, and they'd be thrilled to have it
*now*. How much extra should we have them wait for the needs of your
clients?

(Yes, I have clients now who would very much like HS as well, of course,
but that's not the point)

//Magnus