Re: Swag for SCALE?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Swag for SCALE?
Date: 2009-01-27 23:32:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jonathan,

> Hmm, all I can think of is that we were a silver sponsor at PGCon 2008
> (which I'm guessing is completely different from donating to one of
> the PostgreSQL non-profits)

Yes, it is. The various conferences are generally their own PR benefit;
you get your name up on the conference signage, get thanked, get stuff
in the bags, etc., etc. I know Dan is good about this.

The goal of obligating companies to be donors to get in the folder is to
pay for all the conference swag we have to have printed every year ...
around $6000 a year of stuff. Or at least staff the booths with sponsor
staff; we probably need bodies more than we need cash.

I hate to be a jerk about requiring extra qualifications from companies
who are supporting OSS in general and have been involved in PG in other
ways, but the companies whose stuff is in the folders now *did* step up
and contribute extra, and it wouldn't be fair to them to change the rules.

FYI, there's also numerous opportunties for you guys to *present* your
tools to the community; do you have anyone near OSW, OSCON, East, West
or any of the User Groups?

--Josh Berkus