Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-01-27 14:30:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>> They are now on a toolbar and I still have the issue. I probably did
>> something wrong, I'll check this today.
>
> OK. I wonder if it would make some more sense to have separate
> controls for each tab anyway, and just put them directly on each tab.
> It might be preferable to be able to control the refresh rate of each
> pane individually.

The patch attached adds the control on the activity status tab. If the
UI glitch the previous patch had doesn't appear with this one on
Windows, it could be interesting to add them on the three remaining
ones. Unfortunately, I can't check this this week (I won't have access
to a Windows PC till next week).

Can someone check this?

> [...]
>> I personaly would prefer to commit the patch (when the toolbar issue is
>> fixed). Of course, the wxAUI_NB_TAB_SPLIT will be disable on Linux.
>> Remember we also have this issue on the other pgadmin's Window :
>> frmMain, frmQuery, frmEditGrid. They all crash if I try to move a pane.
>
> Except we're not proposing to add that functionality to those forms
> (in fact, frmEditGrid doesn't even have a tabset). doing so would be a
> lot of work, and I think it's only worth the effort perhaps on
> frmMain.
>
>>> Did you have any thoughts on the idea of changing the log viewer to a
>>> text control instead of the listctrl?
>>>
>> I didn't try but it should work. We'll need to trash the columns code,
>> but it won't be a hard work.
>
> Cool.

So, what's next? would the patch be rejected if wxAUI_NB_TAB_SPLIT is
disabled? should I still work on this patch?

On my todo list, I have now:

* add copy of the query running on the selected backend (button before
Cancel Query)

* activity view : color coding
* new configuration tab (Server Status) : query time limit
* color activity view
green OK, orange running but query time past a configurable limit,
blue idle, red waiting for a lock
* menu view : item to (dis)allow color coding

* select a backend process and display just the locks it's holding, and
the one it's waiting on

* enable change of connection server

* add filter and sort for each report

* Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
slider, filter and sort options.

* Add graph reports for different statistics views, something like
the Gnome System Monitor but specific to PostgreSQL (transaction
rate, read/hit ratio, number of connections, bgwriter stats come to
mind)

Comments?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
serverstatus_p1_v6.patch.bz2 application/x-bzip 6.4 KB