Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-26 21:21:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> So, some feedback to make this decision more difficult:
>
> Users: care about HS more than anything else in the world. I'm
> convinced that if we took a staw poll, 80% of our users would be in
> favor of waiting for HS. This one feature will make more of a
> difference in the number of PG users than any feature since the
> Windows port. Maybe more.
>
> on the other hand:
>
> We held back version 4 months 7.4 for Windows, before it became
> apparent that there was at least a year more work to do. That was a
> mistake, and in many ways HS seems like a similar case.

I can only confirm what Josh is saying here.
We would also assume that 80% have been waiting for Simon's work for
years. In fact, I have been dealing fulltime with PostgreSQL since 1999
and it has been a missing issue since than.
Now that we are so close to fixing this issue for so many people out
there, we should give it all the attention we have and support Simon +
team wherever we can.
I think Simon has responded to all question is almost realtime. We
should take that into consideration.
Also, Simon is focuing on a very open development model - this naturally
means a lot of mailing list traffic. Isn't this what this project is all
about?

I am in favor of giving this patch a useful timeframe for completion.
If people decide to give this patch a chance, we will definitely agree
on putting some significant manpower in here as well.
We are not the only ones who want to see that in.
We already see people saying that they delay migrations because they are
hoping for readable slaves to go in.
Also, in the past 10 years I have been tortured with "when can we have
replication" each and every day ...
I am fed up :). i cannot hear it anymore ("... but MySQL has
replication" *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh*).

best regards,

hans

Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Professional PostgreSQL Consulting, Support, Training
Gröhrmühlgasse 26, A-2700 Wiener Neustadt
Web: www.postgresql-support.de