Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate

From: "M(dot) Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb(at)cesmail(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate
Date: 2009-01-26 20:44:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> It's a tough time to be picking up inexpensive consumer SATA disks right
> now. Seagate's drive reliability has been falling hard the last couple
> of years, but all the WD drives I've started trying out instead have
> just awful firmware. At last they're all cheap I guess.

I also have a 250 GB drive in another machine that I need to move to the
main desktop. I don't remember the model of it -- it's been shut down
for a year. :( Given that drive, I really don't have a need to buy a
disk drive right now, and I'm saving my pennies for an
industrial-strength laptop that I can dual-boot Windows 64-bit and
Linux. I've gotten amazing use out of my ancient Compaq Presario 2110US,
considering it's a "home unit", but it's heavy, slow and has only 512 MB
of RAM.

> P.S. I have several of the same basic Seagate drive you have (160GB,
> even bought at CompUSA!) and would expect at least 2-3X better pgbench
> results than you're seeing. I realized that I've never actually run
> that test without first tweaking the postgresql.conf
> (shared_buffers,checkpoint_segments) so that may be part of it. One of
> my systems here has just one of those disk in it, next time I boot that
> up I'll see what results I get with an untuned config.
>
> --
> * Greg Smith gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

Thanks!! I'm just getting into the PostgreSQL tuning part of things.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky