Re: Per database connection limit buglet

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per database connection limit buglet
Date: 2009-01-26 12:26:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dave Page wrote:
> It's possible to set a per-database connection limit of < -1, which seems bogus:

Yeah. That's simple to fix, but I'm having trouble wordsmithing the
error message. This is what I came up with:

invalid connection limit %d (must be -1, meaning no limit, or greater)

Any better suggestions?

I also note that you can set it to INT_MAX, while max_connections is
limited to INT_MAX/4, but I'm inclined to leave that alone.

> 8.3 seems similarly afflicted - I haven't tested any further back.

Hmm, I don't think this should be backported, since it doesn't cause any
actual problems. We'd just risk breaking people's scripts that use
-999 to mean "no limit". (they will be broken when they upgrade to 8.4
anyway, of course, but that's fine)

--
Heikki Linnakangas