Re: Controlling hot standby

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Controlling hot standby
Date: 2009-01-23 18:17:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> There are considerable benefits to having it turned on during PITR
>
> Please read this to see why

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby#Dynamic_Control_of_Recovery

Am I reading this right? What I get out of it is that users can
connect to the database during recovery, like with psql or JDBC? Any
user can query recovery completion status and progress, while a
superuser can also step through transactions in various ways? Can the
data in the database be queried while recovery is paused?

If I'm understanding this, and data can be queried during a pause, I
can certainly see use cases for this; but it might be important to be
able to start the recovery in a paused state to avoid going too far in
the transaction stream before a connection can be established and
recovery paused.

-Kevin