Re: about truncate

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: about truncate
Date: 2009-01-21 09:29:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> It's just occurred to me that if TRUNCATE no longer means TRUNCATE ONLY,
> parallel restore will need to detect which server version is being used
> so that for version > 8.3 it issues TRUNCATE ONLY.

The pg_dump output was never backward compatible. (The input is.) So
the output of parallel restore need not be backward compatible either.
(Unless this mandate has changed dramatically while I was not looking?)
So always issue TRUNCATE ONLY, if that is what the logic requires.
The additional benefit is that this will fail safely on older versions.