Re: Import: about ODBC data source

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import: about ODBC data source
Date: 2009-01-14 13:55:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Quan Zongliang
> <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The wxWidgets framework has some classes relative to ODBC:
>> wxDb/wxDbTable and so on.
>> Them is controlled by identifier wxUSE_ODBC.
>> Default is 0, that is, don't compiling with wxWidgets.
>>
>> My idea is only support this function (import from ODBC) under MS-Windows
>> using Microsoft API. Although there is iODBC (http://www.iodbc.org)
>> under Unix implemented the ODBC API.
>
> iODBC is used on Mac, but in my experience, unixODBC is more popular
> on Linux. I don't know what is used on Solaris or the BSDs. I'm not
> keen on the idea of only offering functionality on one platform.
>
> Without using wxUSE_ODBC, I don't see that you'll be able to do this
> nicely in a cross platform way. I suppose you could allow the user to
> select the ODBC driver libraries (eg. psqlodbc.so) directly, but that
> will mean that DSNs can't be used.
>
> Anyone else got any thoughts?

One thing that would be very useful on Unix, I think, would be to be
able to use DBD drivers.

I guess if we flip back to the discussion from earlier, this could be
handled if we integrated python (or perl for DBD, but since we were
considering python in a general sense). Then we could generate a
datastream from any driver there.

However, I'm unsure if those drivers provide things like "enumerating
tables", but it's probably possible to do that through a very thing db
wrapper (we'd only need the table name - all other metadata required to
transfer the *data* is available in the api)

//Magnus