Re: per-database locale: createdb switches

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: per-database locale: createdb switches
Date: 2009-01-13 14:20:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Which raises yet another question, why CTYPE and COLLATE have to be
>> hardcoded settings and catalog columns instead of being stored in
>> datconfig as database-startup-only settings?
>
> Because changing CTYPE or COLLATE in an existing database would render
> indexes broken.
>
> Perhaps we could've put them in datconfig, and forbidden changing them
> after CREATE DATABASE. Then again, encoding is a similar setting too,
> and that's stored in a catalog column.

Yeah, it's a tricky case somewhere in between all the facilities that we
already have.

I notice in the documentation that the createdb --lc-ctype sets the
lc_ctype setting for the database, but the corresponding parameter for
CREATE DATABASE is CTYPE, but the global GUC setting is lc_ctype.
Should that be more consistent?