Re: Recovery Test Framework

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date: 2009-01-12 15:48:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Recovery doesn't have a test framework as yet.

I have been having these concerns as well. In fact, I recall
discussions at least 8 years back about how pg_dump doesn't really have
any organized testing, and we also have little regular testing of PITR
aside from specific exercises that users or developers occasionally run.

The question remains how to do it. Running read-only queries on a slave
doesn't show anything about how well the write-relevant parts of WAL
archiving work. That's not to say it's not interesting to test that,
but there is really a lot more to having a full test suite for our
backup and recovery facilities.