Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: aerkain <aerkain(at)seznam(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."
Date: 2009-01-12 10:22:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

aerkain wrote:
> - It is Windows Vista Business.
> - ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
> - during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
> service
> - I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try to
> install it still display message that "The database cluster initialisation
> failed."

to clean up a old/failed postgres install on windows...

* delete the postgres user, via command line NET USER POSTGRES /DELETE
* delete the postgres 'service', via command line SC DELETE PGSQL-8.3
* delete the directories as you did.

(command lines can (should?) be all lower case, i just capitalized them
to make it clear they were commands). older versions use different
service names... try

sc query | find "pg"

to get the service name for the `sc delete` command...

now, you should be able to clean install postgres