Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."

From: Francis Dupont <Francis(dot)X(dot)Dupont(at)USherbrooke(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation problem "...The database cluster initialization failed.."
Date: 2009-01-15 21:50:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

John R Pierce wrote:

> aerkain wrote:
>> - It is Windows Vista Business.
>> - ..\PostgreSQL\8.3\data is existing and empty.
>> - during uninstallation postgre has reported an error: unable to stop
>> service
>> - I have deleted PostgreSQL directiory (after uninstall), but when I try
>> install it still display message that "The database cluster
>> initialisation
>> failed."
>>

> to clean up a old/failed postgres install on windows...
>
> * delete the postgres user, via command line NET USER POSTGRES /DELETE
> * delete the postgres 'service', via command line SC DELETE PGSQL-8.3
> * delete the directories as you did.
>

> (command lines can (should?) be all lower case, i just capitalized them
> to make it clear they were commands). older versions use different
> service names... try
>
> sc query | find "pg"
>
> to get the service name for the `sc delete` command...
>
> now, you should be able to clean install postgres
>

> --

I had the same problem! I found a way to go a step further by checking the
security one the data directory. It appears that the install process create
the data folder using login you're currently logon. But it tried to access
it using the postgres login that doesn't have any right on that directory.
I had the "Full control" permission to postgres on the data directory and I
went a step further.

Haven't found the way to get the install all the way and I cannot start the
service yet.

I have a windows 2003 server SP1 running has a standalone machine (Not
connected to a domain controler).

Hope it will help getting forward to a solution.

Regards,

Francis