Re: block device benchmarking

From: "M(dot) Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb(at)cesmail(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: block device benchmarking
Date: 2009-01-11 23:28:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Markus Wanner wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Check out the work of Jens Axboe and Alan Brunelle, specifically the
>> packages "blktrace" and "fio".
>> BTW ... I am working on my blktrace howto even as I type this. I don't
>> have an ETA -- that's going to depend on how long it takes me to get the
>> PostgreSQL benchmarks I'm using to work on my machine. But everything
>> will be on Github at
>>
>> http://github.com/znmeb/linux_perf_viz/tree/master/blktrace-howto
>>
>> as it evolves.
>
> Cool, looking forward to reading that.

I've got it about half done at this point. What's still to be done is
build the PostgreSQL example and the specialized post-processing code.
But the basics -- how to build "blktrace" from source and run it -- are
there. It will probably be next weekend before I get a chance to build
the PostgreSQL example.

http://github.com/znmeb/linux_perf_viz/raw/master/blktrace-howto/blktrace-howto.pdf

If anyone wants to comment on it, the best way might be to join Github
and send me in-project messages there. I've got some documentation
questions I need to ask on the blktrace mailing list.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P), WOM