Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Subject: Re: pgday.org : how to federate the PgDays ?
Date: 2009-01-11 20:11:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Peter,

> My take on it is that there is only one pgday, just like there is only one
> pgcon, both being kind of brand names. So I would just keep the pgday.org
> domain for the European event in the Prato tradition.

I don't know that this is a good idea. There's already been "pgDays" in
Brazil, Prague, China, Argentina and the US. I don't think it really
benefits the community to suddenly declare pgDay.IT to be the only one
and force all the other mini-conferences to seek new names. That seems
hostile and controlling.

For that matter, I haven't heard Gabriele or Federico complain about the
use of the name.

I think exercising some belated brand control over the name pgDay might
be apt ... that is, we might want to declare that the name "pgDay" is
only to be used for non-profit, local community-run conferences, and
only allow pgDay.org to list conferences which qualify this way.

But the PostgreSQL has never been about telling people *how* to
participate in the community. We shouldn't start now.

--Josh