Re: Server Status window work

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Status window work
Date: 2009-01-06 22:30:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>
>>> * Replace the wxNotebook widget with the wxAuiNotebook so users can
>>> close tabs and rearrange tabs order via drag-and-drop.
>>>
>> This is done in the attached patch. frmStatus.xrc should be removed, all
>> the widgets are created in frmStatus.cpp.
>
> Doesn't seem to make much difference on OS X. I certainly can't
> rearrange tabs etc.

Works for me on Linux and Mac OS X. I can close tabs and rearrange them.

The new patch attached fixes the crash issue I had yesterday. It also
adds a close box on each tab and customizes the wxAuiNotebook style.

>>> * Add the possibility to open many Server Status windows (we can
>>> already do this with the SQL query tool) so a user can see many
>>> reports at the same time.
>>>
>> Works too.
>
> Yup.
>
>>> * Add a dockable toolbar to enable changing connection server, timer
>>> slider, filter and sort options.
>>>
>> I'm wondering if I should add this and a menubar. My idea is to work
>> with panes and make it possible to add many panes in a same window. Each
>> pane will handle one type of report : activity, locks, transactions,
>> logfile.
>
> Yep, could do - even if it just has a view & file menu.

OK.

>>> * Colour coding for the backend lines. Say green for running OK, orange
>>> for running, but with the query time being past a configurable limit,
>>> blue for idle, and red when waiting for a lock etc.
>>>
>> Dave, this one is from you. Where do you want to put the configuration
>> of the server status. In the options dialog already available? I add a
>> notebookpage with all server status parameters?
>
> That would seem sensible

OK.

>>> * The ability to select a running backend, and copy the query straight
>>> into a new query tool window (caveat: the stats command string may be
>>> truncated, and still contain parameter placeholders).
>>>
>>> * Ability to select a backend process and display just the locks
>>> it's holding, and the one it's waiting on.
>>>
>> For these two, a contextual menu seems a good choice. Other ideas?
>
> Potentially difficult to use without a mouse - but you could add a
> top-level menu option as well.

I can also add shortcut keys.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment Content-Type Size
serverstatus_p1_v2.patch text/x-patch 14.1 KB