Re: linux.conf.au

From: Grant Allen <gxallen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: linux.conf.au
Date: 2009-01-01 01:40:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> So the linux.conf.au "miniconf" schedule was just posted, and it seems
> it has an "open source database" track ... which consists on 4 MySQL
> talks, and a SE-PostgreSQL talk by KaiGai-san.
>
> http://linux.conf.au/programme/schedule/
>
> Not that I'm going to attend, but still it's pretty disappointing.
> There was supposed to be a hefty bunch o'PG guys down there, wasn't it?

There are, and we would have been more than happy to out-flank the MySQL people, but the linux.conf.au organisers messed up. For the last 3+ months, they indicated there would be no open source db miniconf, and they pulled the entry on their site. Obviously they changed plans, but failed to communicate that well. I believe they are having difficulties in general, as the conference is usually sold out well before this point in the schedule, but they are still spamming lists with pleas/adverts for people to buy a registration package (probably a combination of downturn, and location ... Hobart is the Australian equivalent of Anchorage, Alaska).

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Dazed and confused about technology for 20 years
http://fuzzydata.wordpress.com/