Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need idea for a web framework for NLS site
Date: 2008-12-30 14:27:06
Lists: pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for a new/better web framework to run the
> NLS web site <http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/>. It's
> currently using "DocBook website", which is crufty and has all kinds of
> weird XML dependencies. I have tried to rewrite it using Ikiwiki, but
> that also has some very particular weirdnesses that annoyed me very much.
>
> I don't necessarily want to change the layout or contents of the web
> site at all, but I would like to have a toolkit that has less overhead.
>
> Requirements are roughly:
>
> * Perfect and flawless table support is essential. The page
> <http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/status.html> is pretty
> much the core of the service, so it must work well. I currently create
> HTML tables using a script and include them, but pretty much every
> toolkit has problems in this area. I am not attached to the HTML
> markup, however.
>
> * Low-tech, standard tools available through FreeBSD ports collection,
> or whatever the sysadmins want to deal with.
>
> * PostgreSQL-themable.
>
> * Preferrably understandable and maintainable by more than one person.
>
> Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Can you explain a little more what the idea is?

Is it just generating this one HTML page, or is there some more logic
behind it? Does it make actual modifications somewhere?

What's the source data? A pgfoundry CVS repository? Anything else?

On the surface it *seems* like it should be simple :) Seems like it
should be easy enough to extend your script with one of the templating
engines we're already working with for other websites.

//Magnus