Re: [SPAM] Re: GIT mirror not updating

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: GIT mirror not updating
Date: 2008-12-29 11:00:03
Lists: pgsql-www

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> Do you think this hack (or at least a problem report) would be accepted
>>> upstream by the git community?
>>
>> cvsps is not part of git. It's a separate package, that has been
>> unmaintained for a great while, and there are already some forks out
>> there. Which is part of the problem, overall ...
>
> Yep. The git people are certainly aware of the problem, there's plenty
> of discussion about it on the mailing lists. I don't know if this
> particular hack has been proposed before, I don't think I saw anything
> identical in the mailing lists, though people have posted cvsps hacks to
> fix it before.
>
> Another problem with git-cvsimport is that only branches that have had
> any commits to them show up in the GIT repository. This hack won't fix
> that. If cvsps injected a dummy "branch commit" at the right place,
> instead of the reordering that my hack does, that might be fixed too.

Do we *have* any branches that have had no commits? And in this case, do
we *care* that they don't show up? I assume they will show up as soon as
we get the first commit?

> What are we going to do about this? I have the feeling that I have the
> greatest itch to get the repository fixed. I propose that I will try
> that dummy "branch commit" hack in cvsps, and if it works out, create a
> new GIT repository using that. That would replace the current
> repository, which means that people working against that repository will
> need to use "git-fetch --force" to update their clones, and rebase their
> own branches. It would also be good to contribute the hack into upstream
> cvsps (whatever fork is considered upstream).

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. We should be careful to test out
all parts before we do it, though, so users don't have to rebase more
than once!

> I'd like to move to git-cvsimport because:
> - it converts tags
> - I'm more familiar with it than fromcvs/togit.

Can't comment on this.

> However, if anyone else is willing to pick up the ball, I'll just shut
> up and be happy that something gets done.
>
> One option is to just leave it as it is, but it's not nice that the
> history is repeated multiple times. The repository is big enough without
> that..

I'd really like to see us do something about it. I don't think just
leaving it as-is is a good solution.

//Magnus