Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Installation procedure wishes
Date: 1999-06-17 20:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net> writes:
> 1. My standard way to install pgsql:
> make
> su
> useradd postgres
> ****
> mkdir ~postgres
> make install
> chown -R postgres ~postgres

> Is it possible to include last three commands into installation procedure?

If you followed the installation instructions (ie, run "make install" as
the postgres user), you wouldn't need the chown step. The reason that
making the toplevel installation directory isn't part of what "make
install" does is that it's typically located somewhere that requires
root permission to make the directory --- but you only need to do that
once, it doesn't have to be done over each time you reinstall.

> 2. The most often PGDATA is ~postgres/data
> and PGLIB is ~postgres/lib
> Is it possible to use this as default if environment not set?

Not ~postgres necessarily, but whatever the --prefix set by configure
is. I kinda thought these defaults were compiled in already? If not,
they probably should be.

> 3. Next step is adding plpgsql into database template1 (or patching creatdb
> script) to add plpgsql every time as I create new db

That's a one-command thing now, so I'm not seeing why it's harder to issue
the command than type a configure option ...