Re: publishing changelogs on pgweb

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: publishing changelogs on pgweb
Date: 2008-12-22 12:43:16
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-www

Seems doable, at least in theory :)

I've actually been toying with this a bit earlier, trying to get a
summary of the CVS log messages into a database. That could be used to
genereate pretty much anything. I ended up using the git repository
instead, because it was easier - but given that it appears to be fairly
fragile, I don't think that'd be a good idea in a case like this.

IIRC, cvs2cl can actually produce XML output, which we could "easily"
process and stick in a database, and then from there to the web. Adding
this intermediate step would allow us to produce the output in multiple
formats - for example, it wouldn't surprise me if people would
appreciate an RSS feed... (Again, I've used the git repo for this
myself, but that's proven to not be so good)

Not sure how to solve the second of Toms points there automatically
though - IIRC I hadn't solved the issue of getting the tags in there.

I think it's easier to just run it with a cronjob, rather than trying to
put more stuff into the commit hooks. We could still use it to trigger a
run if the runs appear to be too slow - but I don't think we need
anything like 5-minute granularity on the updates (which is the main
reason for that commit hook)

//Magnus