Re: Type incompatibilities converting char to uuid

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Type incompatibilities converting char to uuid
Date: 2008-12-18 16:09:59
Lists: sfpug

Dirk Jagdmann wrote:
>> I'm trying not to delete and recreate all of my foreign keys if I can
>> help it for simplicity sake... any suggestions otherwise?
>
> Not really, but what is the problem with droping the foreign key
> constraint before column conversion? Do you have GB of UUIDs stored and
> fear that the index recreation might take long?

Well my test case is simple but in reality I have 75 tables with a
considerable number of foreign keys. I can probably dump the schema and
grep out those definitions or use the system tables to find them all but
I was looking for the easy way out. :)

I may wait for 8.4 which will eliminate the need to make changes in my
application since my char(35) input will be natively understood. Then I
can run this transaction/drop/alter/recreate/commit.

Thanks for the input guys!

Brian