Re: pg_xlog

From: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_xlog
Date: 2008-12-18 02:40:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

I think i'll answer my own question, after. Since this is a write ahead
log, the only thing contained would be the "Drop Table"
statement. Since there are many databases in this instance, we would
have to restore the instance somewhere else, replaying
until just before the drop, then extract what we need.

Sigh.

Naomi
> Everyone,
>
> -
>
> The guys on one of our servers deleted a table and need the data from
> it. Somehow, our backup job did not run.
> We have the pg_xlog that should (may) contain the deleted data. We
> need to know if there is a way to extract the
> records that were deleted from the file and write them back into the
> table. Is there a way to retrieve the data from
> the pg_xlog?
>
> This is a server running x86 Solaris 10, postgres 8.2.4.
>

> Naomi

Naomi Walker Chief Information Officer
Eldorado Computing, Inc nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com
---An EDS Company 602-604-3100
Hard things are put in our way, not to stop us, but to call out our
courage and strength. -- Anonymous