Re: Large XML file

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Letinarh <letinarh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large XML file
Date: 2008-12-15 08:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Letinarh wrote:
> I have a large XML file (about 130 Mb) and I want to parse it using
> plpg/sql. here comes two questions:
> 1. How can I upload it? (only by means of `Large Object`?)

You can just insert it normally using INSERT or whatever other method
you use for getting data into the database.

> 2. How can I parse it without uploading it. assuming that xml file and
> postgresql are located on the same server.

PostgreSQL would have nothing to do with it. You can use som external
tool such as xmllint, depending on what you want to do. But the again,
130 megabytes (megabits?!?) are not really that large to devise special
workarounds.