Re: Problem after installing triggering function

From: Yan Cheng Cheok <yccheok(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem after installing triggering function
Date: 2010-01-28 00:53:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks and Regards
Yan Cheng CHEOK

--- On Thu, 1/28/10, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problem after installing triggering function
> To: "Yan Cheng Cheok" <yccheok(at)yahoo(dot)com>
> Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Date: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
> Yan Cheng Cheok <yccheok(at)yahoo(dot)com>
> writes:
> > I have a stored procedure execute the following code
> :
> >     INSERT INTO unit(fk_lot_id,
> cycle)
> >     VALUES(_lotID, _cycle)
> RETURNING  * INTO _unit;
> >     raise notice 'AFTER INSERT
> INTO UNIT,  _unit.unit_id = %', _unit.unit_id ;
>
> > unit_id column, is an auto generated primary key. I
> will always get a non-null value.
>
> > However, after I install a trigger function, and
> create a table named unit_0 inherit from table unit,
>
> > NOTICE:  AFTER INSERT INTO UNIT,
> _unit.unit_id = <NULL>
>
> > will be printed.
>
> If you installed it as a BEFORE trigger, the problem is
> here:

You are right. I am inserting BEFORE trigger.

CREATE TRIGGER insert_unit_trigger
BEFORE INSERT ON unit
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE unit_insert_trigger();

> >     RETURN NULL;
>
> That's suppressing the INSERT action.

But... I am not implementing table partition. I want to ensure my parent table "unit" is empty, and "unit_0" is being filled. But, all my query can be performed through parent table "unit".

I am referring to http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2009/11/howto-create-postgresql-table-partitioning-part-1/