Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date: 2008-12-12 04:59:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> In general, I am concerned that the SE-Linux patch is not converging on
> a community consensus in terms of user interface or implementation
> details. This suggests that the patch might not succeed in being
> included in Postgres 8.4, which is a shame.

It is extreamly worst.

I have worked for this feature more than 2 years, and has waited for
opening the merge window of v8.4, because it was just after the feature
freeze of v8.3 when I first proposed SE-PostgreSQL on the list.
(I was not good at development process in the community.)
Yes, we got active discussion recent days which I waited for long term.
I don't want to wait for any more!

> We are going to need to come up with specific answers to these issues
> soon.

The origion of issue is simple.

Whether we should support to activate (not only compile) two or more security
mechanism in same time, or not.
In my opinion, it is not a frequent situation, and it gives us several big
pains, but benefit is smaller than the pains.

Thanks,
--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC