Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Date: 2015-02-21 16:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 02/21/2015 09:39 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Personally, I think I would prefer that we use JSON (and yes, there's
>> a JSON::Tiny module, which definitely lives up to its name).
>> For one thing, we've made a feature of supporting JSON, so arguably we
>> should eat the same dog food.

We've also made a feature of supporting XML, and a lot earlier, so that
argument seems pretty weak.

My only real requirement on the format choice is that it should absolutely
not require any Perl module that's not in a bog-standard installation.
I've gotten the buildfarm code running on several ancient machines now and
in most cases getting the module dependencies dealt with was pure hell.
No non-core modules for a basic build please. I don't care whether they
are "tiny".