Versioned mo file installation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Versioned mo file installation
Date: 2008-12-05 14:20:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

One issue with packaged multiple-version installations (practiced by
Debian, Solaris, and soon Fedora?) is that the mo files (translation
files) should be in a fixed location like /usr/share/locale, which does
not allow PostgreSQL-version specific subdirectories.

The Debian packages solve this by appending a version number to the mo
files themselves, as can be seen in this patch:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~pitti/postgresql/debian-8.3/annotate/127?file_id=03gettextdomains.pat-20060925215343-vp3e1xxgtg0tzea6-45

Solaris packaging is currently looking for a solution, and the Fedora
initiative might as well? So I figured we could adopt something like
the above patch as a built-in solution, as a build option or even by
default.

Comments?