Re: Patch for "Panel for Joins in the Graphic Query Builder"

From: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for "Panel for Joins in the Graphic Query Builder"
Date: 2008-12-05 06:47:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Luis,

Luis Ochoa wrote:
> (...)
>
> By the way Ashesh as I notice you know the tool I'm going to make you
> some commentaries:
>
> I have been thinking a way of adding the group by and having operators
> to the GQB to basically allow the user to create more complex queries,
> but I'm not sure about the correct user interface to do this task, I
> think that group by can be as the ordering tab and the having tab can
> be as the criteria tab. Do you have any suggestions?
I think - you're right. :)
* GROUPBY & HAVING could be implemented the same way, we did for ORDERBY
& CRITERIA respectively.

> And about the join panel as I told you I was thinking that if the user
> select one join should be an easy option to change the query type like
> a floating toolbar with button with the join types that will be show
> near the selected join. What do you think about this?
I was also thinking about this option.
* One way is - we create a toolbar near the join for changing the join-type.
* And other is - we enable the UP/DOWN keys to change the join-type,
while join is selected. But, the problem with this is - this feature
will not be directly visible to users, and they won't be able to use
until they experienced it. :(

So, I am thinking to go for the option one only.
I will send a patch for it when time permits.
I have something else in my plate on priority basis for right now. :(

Thanks & Regards,
Ashesh