Re: Error message with plpgsql CONTINUE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error message with plpgsql CONTINUE
Date: 2015-08-25 16:16:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Hmm ... what do you think of wording the error as "there is no label "foo"
> attached to any block enclosing this statement"? That still leaves the
> terminology "block" undefined, but it seems better than "any statement
> enclosing this statement".

Actually, looking at the plpgsql documentation, I see that it is
completely consistent about using the word "block" to refer to
[DECLARE]/BEGIN/END. So we probably can't get away with using the term in
a vaguer sense here. So the wording would have to be "there is no label
"foo" attached to any block or loop enclosing this statement". That's a
tad verbose, but at least it's clear ...