Re:

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Fareed M(dot) Zaffar" <fareed(at)cs(dot)duke(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2001-07-20 20:48:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Fareed M. Zaffar" <fareed(at)cs(dot)duke(dot)edu> writes:
> i am sorry if this seems like a silly question but i managed to
> somehow remove the superuser priviliges from my super user...i was
> experimenting with pg_shadow and now i cant change it back. Is there a
> way to reassign superuser priviliges to a user since right now there
> is no one.

Oops :-(. It *might* work to shut down the postmaster, start a
standalone backend, and do an UPDATE on pg_shadow in the standalone
backend. I'm not sure whether the permission checks are disabled in
standalone mode (if not, perhaps they should be --- comments anyone?).

Otherwise, I think your choices are (a) hack the source code to let
you do the above, or (b) dump, initdb, reload.