Re: Vacuum Problems

From: Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum Problems
Date: 2008-11-26 18:39:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Rafael Domiciano wrote:

> The database has around 40 Gb.
>
> If I not use vacuum full everyday the database get very slow.
>
> There is no deadlock on the database.
> The vacuum does a clean in the table and in every index of the table
> "clifatura". And in the end of the vacuum, seems that vacuum is working
> hard on the table (Vacuum is using CPU and memory), but doesn't end.

Well - maybe an index on the table is broken? I did once run a script on
a database to insert a rather big amount of data. During reindexing the
db ran out of diskspace, but obviously it was freed after that so I
missed the really important error message. I just wondered why the
server had restarted in the meantime. A vacuum on the table in question
took forever. I'm not sure whether I just did a reindex or a dump and
restore to fix this. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Peter