Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-25 19:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
> ... it would be orders of magnitude more difficult for
> a novice to create the sample database from contrib or anywhere else.

It seems to me that *this* is the more serious problem that
we should fix instead.

If, from the psql command prompt I could type:

psql=# install module sampledb;
Downloading sampledb from pgfoundry...
Installing sampledb....
Connecting to sampledb....
sampledb=#

it'd remove the need for pre-installing a rarely-needed ad-on,
as well as being useful for other projects. For exmaple:
psql=# install module US_Census_Tiger_Maps;
Installing dependency Postgis...
Installing module US_Census_Tiger_Maps....
to install a GIS system with all the road networks.