Re: Logging auto_explain outputs to another log file

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logging auto_explain outputs to another log file
Date: 2008-11-23 20:50:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> writes:
>
>> Is $SUBJECT possible? If not, do you think it would be worth
>> implementing this?
>>

> No, and no. The feature isn't even in core; it can hardly qualify as
> something that should drive a massive overhaul of the elog
> infrastructure. Which is what this would take.

Well, it might be possible to build some sort of splitting facility
(regex based?) into the logging collector without having to change the
rest of the logging infrastructure.

But there are already good log splitting tools for some varieties of
syslog, and like Tom I suspect using any effort in this direction on our
part is probably not worth it.

cheers

andrew