freebsd & postgresql 7.1.3

From: "Yuri A(dot) Kabaenkov" <sec(at)artofit(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: freebsd & postgresql 7.1.3
Date: 2001-11-25 04:24:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

Please can anyone tell me with what options must i start
postmaster to handle many connections on subj.

May be i need to recompile my kernel, if yes what options should
i add?

And how my RAM depends on this values ?

I develop software on mod_perl,pgsql,Apache::DBI
and Apache::DBI opens new connection per any apache child.

and in my error log these errors:

NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

DBI->connect(dbname=hell;port=5432;host=localhost) failed: Sorry, too many clients already at helltoplib.pm line 41
[Sat Nov 24 14:03:19 2001] [error] Sorry, too many clients already at helltoplib.pm line 41.

How can if fix it ?

With respect,