Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775

From: Alexandra Nitzschke <an(at)clickware(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not read block 77 of relation 1663/16385/388818775
Date: 2008-11-20 15:43:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

we have had similar postgres problems in the past.
Please have a look at Bug 3484.

We didn't resolve the problems metioned in bug 3484. The other postgres developers also thought, that there are hardware
problems.
So our customer bought a new server with diffrent hardware configuration ( ... and NEW hardware drives ... ).
The error today encountered on the new machine. Just running under heavy load since two days.

We ran two file checks. One normal with no error result.
One deep scan (e2fsck -fcn) searching for corrupted blocks. No error was reported.

It really looks unlikely having a hardware problem now.

Here are some details about the servers:

*NEW* server:
postgres 8.3.5
SUSE 10.3
Kernel 2.6.22.19-0.1-default
Supermicro-Mainboard + 2x AMD Opteron Dual Core 2218 2,60 GHz
4x 1024MB ECC Registered DDR2 Ram ATP
3Ware 9650 4x SATA

*OLD* server:
postgres 8.3.5
SUSE 10.0
Kernel 2.6.22.6-smp
Intel-Mainboard + 2x Intel XEON 2,80 GHz 2MB FSB800
4x 1024MB ECC Registered DDR2 RAM
3Ware Raid Controller 9500S-4

Regards,

A. Nitzschke