Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Charlie Savage <cfis(at)savagexi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3 .4 + Vista + MingW + initdb = ACCESS_DENIED
Date: 2008-11-13 12:41:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Charlie Savage wrote:
> Just wanted to close off this thread.
>
> Previously I reported that building 8.3.4 with MingW on Windows resulted
> in an initdb executable that couldn't create new databases due to
> security restrictions in creating global file mappings in Vista.
>
> I'm happy to say that the problem seems fixed in 8.3.5, which I have
> successfully built, installed, and created new databases with.

Great!

> And just to note this for anyone else who runs into the issue - if you
> build postgresql with MingW then make sure you are using the latest
> version of the MingW runtime:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=11598
>
> Specifically, use version 3.15.1 released on 2008-10-04 (or hopefully
> later). In the previous version, getopt_long is broken, meaning you
> cannot use any long style switches to initdb (for example, initdb
> --locale=C doesn't work and causes initdb to exit with an error message).

There are a lot of earlier versions that work just fine - it's just that
there are a number in between that don't :-(

I'd recommend anybody who needs to build on mingw (the main
recommendations of using binary or msvc still stand, but I realise
everybody don't want that) to look at the buildfarm and pick the same
versions as are being used there.

//Magnus