JDBC and certificates

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC and certificates
Date: 2008-11-13 12:38:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi!

As I'm sure some of you have seen, I've been overhauling the SSL stuff
in libpq for 8.4, and also added some new server functions.

I'd like to verify, well before the release, where the JDBC driver
stands on these same issues, and try to make sure we have a common
standpoint to dealing with this. Now, I don't actually use the JDBC
driver myself - not a java guy - so pardon me for just asking these
questions straight out even if it should be obvious :)

1) It is my understanding that the JDBC driver will do certificate
validation of the servers certificate by default. Can someone confirm this?

2) Does the JDBC driver support client certificates, and if so, how?
This *should* require no changes to work with the client certificate
authentication method I'm hoping to get into 8.4, but it would be good
to test that :-) And if it's not supported now, how much work would it
be to add support for it?

Thanks!

//Magnus

(I take it this list works like the other pg ones but just in case - I'm
not on the list, so please CC any responses)