Re: Re: Updated interval patches (SQL std output, ISO8601 intervals, and interval rounding)

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Updated interval patches (SQL std output, ISO8601 intervals, and interval rounding)
Date: 2008-11-11 19:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Ron Mayer
> <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> wrote:
>> Brendan Jurd wrote:
>>> * AdjustFractionalSeconds => AdjustFractSeconds
>>> * AdjustFractionalDays => AdjustFractDays
>> Otherwise many lines were over 80 chars long.
>> And it happened often enough I thought the shorter name
>> was less ugly than splitting the arguments in many of the
>> places where it's called.
>
> Fair enough. I don't have a strong opinion about that.

Cool. If anyone does have an opinion on that, let me know
and I can change it whichever way people prefer.

>>> There are some very large-scale changes to the regression tests. ...
>> Previously, much (but IIRC not quite all) of the interval output stuff
>> rounded to the hundredths place regardless of how many significant digits
>> there were.
>
> I understood about the rounding issues. I was a bit confused by the
> fact that the patch shows differences for an entire table of results
> from the horology test, but I've just now realised that the whole
> table is different because changing the output precision in some of
> the rows has altered the column width.
>
> Makes me wonder whether an unaligned psql output format would be a
> better choice for the regression tests. It would certainly make for
> clearer diffs. But that's a tangent for another email.

Yeah. And that's what made the patch so big I had to gzip it.

> I don't have any further gripes regarding this patch, apart from the
> code style stuff I sent through in my previous post. Did you have any
> response to those?

Yup - you were right again.
Applied them and updated the website and attaching the patch.

I wonder what's the best way for myself to get out of those habits
in the future? Some lint flags or similar?

Attachment Content-Type Size
cleanup.patch.gz application/x-gzip 12.9 KB