Re: Create and drop temp table in 8.3.4

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create and drop temp table in 8.3.4
Date: 2008-11-06 22:33:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

>>> "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am pretty sure that with no write barriers that even a BBU
hardware
> caching raid controller cannot guarantee your data.

That seems at odds with this:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#wcache_persistent

What evidence to you have that the SGI XFS team is wrong?

It does seem fairly bizarre to me that we can't configure our system
to enforce write barriers within the OS and file system without having
it enforced all the way past the BBU RAID cache onto the hard drives
themselves. We consider that once it hits the battery-backed cache,
it is persisted. Reality has only contradicted that once so far (with
a RAID controller failure), and our backups have gotten us past that
with no sweat.

-Kevin