Re: Upgrade from 7.4.5 to 8.3.3

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)OneSteel(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade from 7.4.5 to 8.3.3
Date: 2008-11-01 12:56:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Harvey, Allan AC wrote:

>> Do you use system libc or glibc? You can try create own
>> locale by localedef and
>> test what happen.
>
> I think it would have to be glibc as I used the gcc loaded with the "skunkware" tools that SCO provide.

gcc may be, and often is, used with the system libc. It'd be much less
useful otherwise, since you generally can't link to more than one libc
without a great deal of trouble, and thus you couldn't use libraries
that were linked to the system libc with gcc if it could only use gcc.

If I recall correctly the gcc shipped in skunkware generates binaries
linked to the system libc. It should be trivial to find out by compiling
a "hello world" program and using /bin/ldd to show what it's linked to.

It might be possible to build PostgreSQL against glibc instead, but it
seems like way more work than would be worthwhile when you can just run
Pg on a modern machine and talk to it over the network.

--
Craig Ringer