[Fwd: Re: GEQO randomness?]

From: Eric Schwarzenbach <Eric(dot)J(dot)Schwarzenbach(dot)C88(at)alumni(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [Fwd: Re: GEQO randomness?]
Date: 2008-10-31 22:57:25
Lists: pgsql-general

My problem with GEQO using a random number generator is that
non-deterministic behavior is really hard to debug, and problems can go
undiagnosed for ages. Frankly I would rather something fail all the
time, than it work most of the time and fail just now and then. Never
getting a good plan for a query would be an improvement because I would
immediately be aware there's a problem and be forced to something about
it, as opposed to maybe realizing there is going to *sometimes* be a
problem.

Suppose a complex query, like mine, had an even more rarely occurring
bad plan result, where as with mine, now and then the query would simply
go out to lunch for all intents and purposes and bog down the server for
the next 30 minutes. But suppose that result was rarer than in my case,
and the developer never saw it, and blithely sent it out into
production. Every now and then the system would start performing
horribly and no one would know why. The developers might hear of it and
bring in the debugger, and perhaps simply never duplicate it because
it's so erratic. In fact, I'd be willing to bet there are any number of
production applications out in the wild using postgresql with that very
problem and the problem is just never traced back to postgresql.

I'm sorry if I sound strident, but I feel strongly about non-determinacy
in system being a Bad Thing, and wish to convey why. I understand from
the documentation that the postgresql team is aware the algorithm is not
ideal, and appreciate the non-triviality of replacing it. I do
appreciate your responses and your suggestions.

For my own case, I'll certainly be doing one or more of the alternatives
you mentioned (#1 for the short term, at least), and I've had #3 in mind
even before I ran into this problem (the only question is when I will
have time to do it).

Thanks again,

Eric