Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling archive_mode without restart
Date: 2008-10-31 15:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> Objections?
>>
>> Why is this worth spending effort on?
>
> The addition of archive_mode changeable with restart only was a
> significant loss of usability going from 8.2 to 8.3, in the minds of
> many people.

It certainly makes more sense to do this:

archive_mode = on
pg_ctl reload

archive_mode = off
pg_ctl reload

versus

archive_command = '/path/to/really/long/archive/string'
pg_ctl reload

archive_command = '/bin/true'
pg_ctl reload

So the short question is, "Do we care about sane behavior for our users?"

If the answer is yes then that is *exactly* why it is worth spending
effort on.

If the answer is no, well it's open source.

Joshua D. Drake