Re: Bug #3924: Create Database with another encoding as the encoding from postgres

From: Joe <dev(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #3924: Create Database with another encoding as the encoding from postgres
Date: 2008-10-31 01:14:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Plan B would be to set the database locale to C, which is
> encoding-agnostic and hence allows different databases to have different
> encodings. Do you actually need en_US sort order?

I wasn't aware of the difference in sort orders until about two months
ago when i had to compare the output of the production db which was in a
C locale with SQL_ASCII encoding (now in C with LATIN1) with the
development db with en_US.iso88591/LATIN1. For our purposes, the en_US
sort order seems much more reasonable, since for example, in a list by
titles, the article "Meet The New Boss, Same as the Old Boss" (with the
quotes being part of the title) sorts among the M titles, and not at the
beginning, before the A titles. As I understand, 8.4 will include
LC_COLLATE support at the database rather than cluster level which
should help in this regard.

Joe