Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Grant Allen <gxallen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date: 2008-10-30 03:29:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Grant Allen wrote:
> ...warehouse...DB2...IBM is seeing typical
> storage savings in the 40-60% range

Sounds about the same as what compressing file systems claim:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/
"ZFS provides built-in compression. In addition to
reducing space usage by 2-3x, compression also reduces
the amount of I/O by 2-3x. For this reason, enabling
compression actually makes some workloads go faster.

I do note that Netezza got a lot of PR around their
compression release; claiming it doubled performance.
Wonder if they added that at the file system or higher
in the DB.