Re: 32bit data on 64bit machine?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Martin Badie" <martinbadie(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 32bit data on 64bit machine?
Date: 2008-10-20 16:44:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>> Martin Badie <martinbadie(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I have a 64 bit machine that has 32 bit pgsql rpms (8.2.5) installed.
If I
> install 64 bit of the same version does that create any problems?

They can co-exist with no problem. When you are running multiple
instances of PostgreSQL on the same box, you usually want to use
different port numbers. If it's going to be a long-term thing, I
highly recommend a different OS user ID own the data directory for
each instance. (I wouldn't do that just for a conversion, though.)

> Of course I am thinking to make a dump

Right. We have been converting databases from 32-bit to 64-bit by
first updating the OS to 64 bit, then later using pg_dumpall piped to
psql on the same box. It's been working great.

-Kevin