Re: MacOS X Leopard Installation

From: Glenn Davy <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net>
To: Mighty Tornado <mighty(dot)tornado(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MacOS X Leopard Installation
Date: 2008-10-16 11:23:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Roman
Mighty Tornado wrote:
> Glenn,
>
> Did you install on MacOS X from ports?
> What does it mean to install from ports?
> I downloaded a dmg file with an installation wizard from the Postgre
> website.

ah, ok... so os x (or darwin at least) has some origins in BSD unix. so,
the BSD package management system called 'ports' (afaict) is available
for the Mac (http://www.macports.org/). Packages that are generally
available for bsd (including postgres) can be downloaded and installed
with just one command like "sudo port install postgresql83-server".

Thats what it means to 'install from ports', and yes thats what i did.
I'm not suggesting that you take this approach to your problem, (though
it may give you a work around if you remain stuck) or even installing
software generally, though i find it a good one and worth while becoming
familiar with. I was just trying to get a starting point to
understanding your situation.

The only thing i can thing of possibly is that your user doesn't have
'allow user to administer this computer' box ticked in the user system
preferences? i could imagine that _might_ cause the kinds of problem
you're having, i don't know. I'll have access to another mac tomorrow
that doesn't already have postgres on it, so i'll download dmg file and
see if I get same outcome.

cheers,
Glenn