Re: TODO item: adding VERBOSE option to CLUSTER [with patch]

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jim Cox" <shakahshakah(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO item: adding VERBOSE option to CLUSTER [with patch]
Date: 2008-10-13 20:34:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>>> Short of actually running an ANALYZE, I'm not seeing a good way to
>>> derive the same number it derives.
>
>> Well we could print the _old_ value at least.
>
> +1 ... seems an appropriate amount of effort for the likely value.

That seems fine for sortedness, but am I the only one who would like
the verbose mode to show the bloat reduction? Essentially, an INFO
line to show the same information you could get by bracketing the
CLUSTER with a couple SELECTs:

ccdev=# select pg_total_relation_size('"DbTranImageStatus"');
pg_total_relation_size
------------------------
253952
(1 row)

ccdev=# cluster "DbTranImageStatus";
CLUSTER
ccdev=# select pg_total_relation_size('"DbTranImageStatus"');
pg_total_relation_size
32768
(1 row)

-Kevin