Re: WITH RECURSIVE ... simplified syntax?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WITH RECURSIVE ... simplified syntax?
Date: 2008-10-11 19:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Would it be a worth it for us to implement a non-standard simple syntax
>> sugar on top of WITH RECURSIVE? Or, at least, something like
>> CONNECT_BY()?
>
> The Oracle syntax only *looks* simple. When you start to study it
> you realize that it's a horrid, messy kluge.

Yeah. I was actually thinking more of something like:

<table_identifier> RECURSIVE JOIN ON <column_expression> <operator>
<column_expression>

... which would be a pretty good simplest-case syntax.

When I mentioned connect_by() I was referring to Joe's function, not
Oracle's syntax, which I think is awful.

--Josh