Re: libpq ssl -> clear fallback looses error messages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq ssl -> clear fallback looses error messages
Date: 2008-10-11 14:01:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Maybe the answer is to not throw away the first error message? But
>>> presenting both messages could be confusing too.
>
>> Do we have the infrastructure to report more than one error? I thought
>> we didn't...
>
> I was thinking of merging the reports into a single PGresult. The
> tricky part is to figure out how to present it, and also when to throw
> away one of the two reports --- if one is obviously bogus you don't want
> to distract the user with it.

Um, PGresult? These errors occur on connection, so it needs to go in PGconn.

I guess the easy way would be to just append the error reports with a \n
between them. I think it would be good to keep both error messages in
*all* cases. If the second connection succeeds, you will not get the
error condition anyway, and thus not look at the error message from the
first one.

//Magnus